The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) and the Surgeon General's Office have estimated that as many as 20,000 lung cancer deaths are caused each year by radon. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer. Radon-induced lung cancer costs the United States over $2 billion dollars per year in both direct and indirect health care costs. (Based on National Cancer Institute statistics of 14,400 annual radon lung cancer deaths - Oster, Colditz & Kelley, 1984)
It is in a sellers best interest to have the home as ready as possible before it is listed for market. Addressing all of the problems before a home is listed can be much cheaper than lowering the sale price or finding the problem late in the game. It can cost the seller 2 or 3 dollars for every real dollar of repair if it is found with a time crunch looming over head. Also a home with no or very minor issues will put buyers more at ease and will increase your pool of potential buyers.
Don’t assume that because a home has passed all local codes and ordinances, it must be in good shape. Homes are still built by people and we all make mistakes. Also the code inspector is only inspecting that phase such as electrical or plumbing and not how it may have effected a prior phase. To have an inspection that looks at the total picture can be a great asset to your future happiness in the home. Especially if that total picture is in multiple phases of the construction of your new home.
The National Ground Water Association (NGWA) recommends well owners test their water at least annually for bacteria, nitrates, and any contaminants of local concern. Are you one of the more than 2.7 million private well users in NC? Most wells have never been inspected or tested for more than bacteria, even when state and local agencies knew of nearby contamination sites.
We will monitor your home for a period of 48 hours using a Corentium continuous radon monitor the newest in radon technology from Norway. We then download the information and evaluate your home for radon.
Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. You cannot see, smell or taste radon, but it may be a problem in your home. The Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, you're at high risk for developing lung cancer. Some scientific studies of radon exposure indicate that children may be more sensitive to radon. This may be due to their higher respiration rate and their rapidly dividing cells, which may be more vulnerable to radiation damage. Radon is not produced as a commercial product. Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas and comes from the natural breakdown (radioactive decay) of uranium. It is usually found in igneous rock and soil, but in some cases, well water may also be a source of radon.